Castor Oil Hair Benefits
Castor oil is liquid gold for hair, it was used thousands of years ago by the Egyptians for healthy hair and it is still around today because in the 21st century it still works like a charm, for not only hair but also the skin.
Castor oil is thick, golden in appearance and is the by-product of the castor plant. A plant that is not without some controversy because of certain toxic compounds which can be found on the surface of the castor bean.
Why is castor oil so special? It contains a rare fatty acid called ricinoleic acid, it can be found only in castor oil and a group of fungi called ergot. Due to its high ricinoleic acid content castor oil exhibits strong pain-killing, anti microbial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Castor Oil Hair and Skin Benefits
- Castor oil has a small molecular size, this means that it penetrates easily, deeply and quickly into the skin. This makes it one of the super penetrative carrier oils besides coconut and olive oil.
- Castor oil soothes inflamed skin including the hair scalp.
- Castor oil provides a moisturizing effect to hair and scalp, because of its penetrative qualities castor oil does not only coat the hair strand but enters the cuticle imparting its numerous minerals and nutrients thus guaranteeing long lasting hydration and nutrition to hair and scalp.
- Castor oil thickens and promotes hair growth even in places where hair would not grow before. Castor oil can also be used to thicken other areas where hair is sparse on your body like your eyebrows and eyelashes.
- Castor oil can repair chemical damage due to hair abuse with regular use. The omega-9 fatty acids in castor oil also nourishes the hair and prevents the scalp from drying out.
- Castor oil is a humectant as it draws moisture into the hair and skin. Applying castor oil on hair will keep it soft and supple.
What is the best castor oil to use?
A cosmetic or therapeutic grade castor oil is best for hair care. You can use cold pressed or castor oil done the Jamaican way, which is roasting the beans and then pressing the seeds, this castor oil is darker in color and very thick.This oil works extremely well on hair.
A quality cold pressed castor oil has a clear, yellow color with a mild, natural plant odor. After the castor oil is applied, it should not have lingering scent. This cold pressed type is said to work best on skin especially when placed around the eyes to reduce wrinkles or dark spots.
Castor Oil Suggestions they are both very good:
Pure Cold Pressed Castor Oil— Heritage Store Castor Oil, 32 Ounce
Roasted Beans, Darker Castor Oil— Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil 4oz