Peppermint Oil Hair Benefits
A couple weeks ago in the middle of my scalp felt really tender, I endured the tender feeling until I went into my cosmetics cupboard and saw my bottles of oil. The peppermint oil screamed, use me– use me. So I did, I put a drop on my finger and gently massaged it into my tender spot. It tingled for a bit, that nice ‘pepperminty’ tingle and then I went about my business. The next day, the tender spot was barely noticeable, I applied a drop more and after doing this for one day more, my tender spot was no longer tender. Whatever malady my hair was experiencing was cleared up by good old peppermint oil. So what is it about peppermint oil that makes it such a good essential oil for the hair?
The health benefits of peppermint oil are extensively studied by the scientific community, so there is a whole slew of information on it. Peppermint oil contains numerous minerals and nutrients including magnesium, calcium, manganese, iron, folate, potassium, and copper. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin A and Vitamin C. It has a host of benefits to the body including nausea and stress, dental care, irritable bowel syndrome and pain relief. For the hair though, peppermint oil is a must have essential oil to have on hand.
· It balances the pH on your scalp; this makes it very useful in dry, flaky scalp situations.
· Peppermint oil stimulates the scalp and also the follicle of the hair; this stimulation is a precursor to hair growth.
· It fights dandruff, and head lice. I would imagine that lice would find the scent of the peppermint oil offensive, but while lice might not like the scent of the oil, your hair certainly does. This oil has a soothing scent just use it sparingly; use too much and you smell like candy or toothpaste all day.
· Peppermint oil is a great hair conditioner; it adds shine and gloss to the hair and also gives the hair body.
· Peppermint oil is a staple in several hair loss preparations because it binds the hair roots, and increases the blood circulation on the scalp.
How To Use Peppermint Oil for Hair
Peppermint oil can be used for both dry and oily hair conditions, as mentioned before it balances the hair’s pH. Here are some useful ways to add peppermint oil to your hair regimen.
· As a pre-shampoo treatment, mix 3 drops of peppermint oil to your favourite carrier oil (castor, coconut, jojoba, almond, olive), apply to hair overnight, cover hair with plastic cap, cover that with your sleeping scarf, shampoo in the morning.
· Peppermint oil can be easily incorporated in your shampoo. Just add 2 drops to your shampoo. You can also do the same for your conditioner.
· For hair issues like intense itching or flaky scalp, use 2 drops peppermint oil, 2 drops tea tree oil, 2 drops vitamin E oil and 1 tablespoon of your regular carrier oil, massage this into the scalp. It works for a whole host of dry hair conditions.
· For scalp massages, peppermint oil is very soothing. Use 2 to three drops and a teaspoon of carrier oil.
Peppermint oil is very intense and can cause scalp irritation if used in its concentrated form and applied directly to the scalp, it is always best to dilute peppermint oil before using it directly on the skin.