Green tea is made from the leaves of the camellia sinensis plant, according to the United States Department of Agriculture green tea has a high flavanoid content. Though this content may vary in different tea products. Green tea is said to be cancer fighting and and disrupts the production of harmful bacteria.
Why are we interested in green tea rinse for hair?
- Green tea stimulates hair growth and combats hair loss. The antioxidant epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) that is present in green tea is said to stimulate the hair follicles.
- Green tea is very effective in treating and curing certain scalp conditions such as dandruff, dry scalp, and psoriasis.
- Green tea strengthens and conditions the hair, it contains vitamin C, E and panthenol and when used as a rinse is a great way to get hair conditioned naturally.
- Green tea restores dry damaged hair because of its high Vitamin E content it can combat dryness effectively.
- Green tea guards against sun damage to hair and skin.
- Green tea softens hair and at the same time strengthens the hair.
How to use green tea rinse
Green tea can be used in the loose tea format (easily found in health food stores) or as tea bags; there are several varieties of green tea on the market. When using loose leaves use less than you would tea bags. One tea bag to one cup of water is the usual dosage.
To make the tea rinse boil water and then add to leaves or tea bag, cover and allow to steep. If using loose leaves strain after the water has cooled. For stronger potency use more tea bags or allow to steep in hot water for a longer time.
When To Use Green Tea Rinse
You can use the green tea rinse instead of conditioner. You can mix it other herbs or you can add it to your regular shampoo for a nutritious wash. Green tea can also be added to homemade moisturizing mixtures instead of water. It works well with peppermint tea rinse and horsetail tea rinse. A drop or two of essential oil when you are steeping your green tea will also increase its potency; jasmine essential oil is a great addition to this rinse.