If you’ve ever experimented with hair extensions, you’re likely familiar with the uneasy feeling of wondering if they’re visible when your hair is up. Believe me, I know; even as someone well-versed in hairstyling techniques, learning to hide extensions took some trial and error.
In this blog post, we’ll dive into a range of effective methods for hiding extensions efficiently – from choosing the right type to mastering pro styling tips that ensure seamless blending.
Intrigued? Let’s transform those tress stresses into bountiful, undetectable beauty!
How to hide extensions when putting hair up?
There are several effective techniques to hide hair extensions when putting hair up, including properly matching the color of the extensions to your natural hair, styling your hair in a way that hides the extensions, securely installing the extensions, and gently putting your hair up to keep them hidden.
Properly matching extensions to natural hair color
One important aspect of hiding extensions when putting your hair up is properly matching hair extensions to your natural hair color. This ensures a seamless blend and makes it harder for anyone to tell that you’re wearing extensions.
When choosing hair extensions, take the time to compare different shades and find one that closely matches your own hair color. If you’re unable to find an exact match, consider getting professional help from a hairstylist who can dye or tone the extensions to match your color perfectly.
Remember, the key is to create a cohesive look where no one can distinguish between your natural hair and the added extensions. By selecting the right shade, you’ll be well on your way to achieving a flawless finish in concealing your hair extensions when styling it up.
Styling hair to hide extensions
When it comes to styling your hair up and hiding extensions, there are a few techniques that can help you achieve a seamless look. Here are some tips to style your hair and conceal extensions effectively:
- Curl your natural hair and extensions together: By curling both your natural hair and the extensions, you can create volume and texture that will make it easier to hide the added length. Use a curling iron or hot rollers to curl small sections of hair, blending the extensions with your own strands.
- Secure the clip-ins properly: If you’re using clip-in extensions, make sure to attach them securely close to the roots of your hair. For an even better disguise, try clipping them in upside down against the roots so that they face the right direction.
- Put up your hair in a bun: The bun is one of the fastest and easiest hairstyles to hide extensions when putting your hair up. Start by gathering your natural hair into a ponytail and then twist it around itself into a bun shape. Secure it with bobby pins, making sure to cover any visible extensions.
- Try braided updos: Braids can be a great option for hiding extensions when putting your hair up. Whether it’s a French braid or a fishtail braid, incorporating your natural hair with the extension strands will help create a seamless look.
- Use hairspray on a brush: Before putting your hair up in any style, apply some hairspray onto a brush or comb and gently brush through your locks, focusing on where the extensions are attached. This will help ensure that the natural hair covers any visible extension pieces.
- Check yourself in the mirror: After styling your hair with extensions, take a moment to check yourself in the mirror from all angles. This will allow you to spot any areas where the extensions may be peeking through or not blended well enough.
Further reading: How to style your hair extensions to look natural?
Installing extensions securely
To ensure that your extensions stay in place and remain hidden when putting your hair up, it’s crucial to install your hair extensions securely. One key tip is to properly match the extensions to your natural hair color so they seamlessly blend in.
Additionally, styling your hair before installing the extensions can help create a solid foundation for a secure attachment. When attaching clip-in extensions, be sure to snap them close to the root and add extra clips if needed for added security.
For tape-in or sew-in extensions, consult a professional stylist who can expertly apply them for a long-lasting hold. By taking these steps, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that your extensions are securely installed and ready to be hidden in any hairstyle.
Gently putting hair up to keep extensions hidden
When putting your hair up to hide extensions, it’s important to handle your hair gently. Here are some tips to ensure your extensions stay hidden:
- Start by brushing your natural hair and extensions carefully to remove any knots or tangles.
- Use a soft, non – damaging hair tie or scrunchie to gather your hair into a ponytail or bun. Avoid using tight elastics that can pull on the extensions and make them more visible.
- Secure the ponytail or bun in place without pulling too tightly on the extensions. This will help prevent any tension or stress on them, ensuring they stay concealed.
- If you’re using clip – in extensions, position them strategically within the updo hairstyle. You can place them underneath layers of natural hair, allowing the top layers to fall elegantly over the extensions.
- When inserting bobby pins to secure sections of your updo hairstyle, be mindful not to catch the extensions with the pins. This will prevent any accidental exposure and maintain a seamless blend.
- Once you’ve finished putting your hair up, lightly spritz with hairspray for added hold while avoiding excessive use that can weigh down the extensions.
- Throughout the process of putting your hair up, periodically check yourself in the mirror from different angles to ensure that none of the extensions are peeking through.
4 Popular hairstyles that hide extensions
Half-up Half-down hairstyles and Ponytails are popular choices for hiding extensions when putting hair up. Braids and Beach Waves can also be great options to camouflage the extensions.
1. Half-up half-down
The half-up, half-down hairstyle serves as your trusty companion when it comes to concealing hair extensions. This versatile look adds volume and glamour while keeping any hint of your secret safely tucked away.
Initiating the style is straightforward – simply pull up a portion of your hair and secure it with a clip or band, leaving the rest flowing freely down. Just remember to curl both natural strands along with the extensions for an enhanced blend.
Your weapon against visible extensions hiding in this case could also be hairspray applied using a brush – ensuring that your natural locks smoothly cover any sign of artificial assistance.
When it comes to hiding extensions while putting your hair up, a ponytail can be a fantastic option. This classic hairstyle not only keeps your hair off your face but also provides a sleek and polished look that effortlessly camouflages the extensions.
To make sure your extensions are properly hidden in a ponytail, start by selecting the right type of extension – whether it’s clip-in, tape-in, or sew-in – that matches your natural hair color and texture.
Once you have the perfect extensions in place, style them alongside your own hair to create volume and texture before gathering them into a high or low ponytail. Utilizing techniques like curling each piece of hair with the extensions can help add dimension and seamlessly blend them with your natural locks.
Braids are a fantastic option for hiding hair extensions when putting your hair up. Whether you opt for a classic French braid, fishtail braid, or even a simple side braid, this hairstyle can effectively camouflage your extensions.
One tip to remember is to start the braid as close to the roots as possible, ensuring that the ends of your natural hair and extensions blend seamlessly. By incorporating your extensions into the braided sections, you create an illusion of thicker and longer strands.
Additionally, adding some texture with a curling iron before braiding can help ensure that everything looks cohesive and natural. So whether you’re going for an elegant updo or just want to add some flair to your everyday style, consider using braids as a clever way to hide those extensions effortlessly.
4. Beach waves
One of the most popular hairstyles that can effectively hide extensions when putting hair up is beach waves. Beach waves not only create a relaxed and effortless look, but they also provide texture and volume to help blend the extensions seamlessly with your natural hair.
To achieve beach waves, start by curling small sections of both your natural hair and the extensions together using a curling iron or wand. This will ensure that both types of hair blend well and give a cohesive appearance.
Once all the sections are curled, gently tousle them with your fingers for a more undone look. The added texture from these waves will help conceal the extensions, making them virtually undetectable when you put your hair up in any style – whether it’s a half-up half-down, ponytail, or braid.
Tips for hiding extensions when putting hair up
When it comes to hiding extensions when putting your hair up, there are some additional tips and tricks that can help you achieve a flawless look. Firstly, using bobby pins strategically can be a game-changer.
Inserting them through the wefts of the extensions and into your natural hair will keep them securely in place and prevent any slipping or visible tracks.
Another tip is to use texturizing products, such as dry shampoo or sea salt spray, to add grip and texture to your natural hair. This will make it easier for the extensions to blend seamlessly with your own strands.
Additionally, gently teasing the roots around where the extensions are placed can create more volume and help conceal any attachment points.
If you have thin hair or struggle with concealing extensions at certain angles, consider incorporating braids into your updo hairstyle. Braids not only add an elegant touch but also work wonders in camouflaging extension lines and providing coverage.
Lastly, don’t forget about accessories! Adding decorative hairpins or headbands can draw attention away from any visible extensions while elevating your overall style.
Remember these tips as you experiment with different hairstyles to find what works best for you. With proper techniques and a little creativity, hiding extensions when putting your hair up has never been easier!
1. How can I hide extensions when putting my hair up?
There are several methods you can use to hide extensions when putting your hair up. You can try using bobby pins or hairpins to secure the extensions in place, hiding them under layers of your natural hair. Another option is to create braids or twists that incorporate the extensions and blend them with your own hair.
2. Can I use styling products to help hide my extensions?
Yes, you can use styling products such as hairspray, texturizing spray, or dry shampoo to help blend the extensions with your natural hair. These products can give your hair more volume and texture, making it easier to conceal the extension attachments.
3. Are there specific hairstyles that work well for hiding extensions?
Yes, certain hairstyles are particularly effective at concealing extensions. Updos like buns, chignons, and top knots allow you to strategically place and hide the extension attachments under layers of twisted or pinned-up sections of hair. Half-up hairstyles with braids or twists also work well for camouflaging extensions.
4. How do I ensure my hidden extensions stay securely in place?
To ensure that your hidden extensions stay securely in place throughout the day, make sure they are properly attached and secured underneath layers of natural hair. Use enough bobby pins or hairpins to hold everything together tightly without causing discomfort or pulling on your scalp. Additionally, avoid excessive touching or playing with your hairstyle as this could dislodge the hidden extensions
In conclusion, hiding extensions when putting hair up is easier than you think. By choosing the right type of extensions, styling techniques, and hairstyles that provide coverage, you can achieve a seamless look.
Remember to match the extensions to your natural hair color, install them securely, and gently put your hair up to keep them hidden. With these tips and tricks in mind, you’ll be able to rock any hairstyle without anyone knowing your secret for added length or volume!