Struggling with adding volume and length to your hair without damaging it? I’ve been there too. That’s why I dug deep into the world of tape-in hair extensions, a gentle yet transformative solution perfect for people with thin hair.
This comprehensive guide: How to put in tape in hair extensions like a pro? will walk you through everything you need to know about applying these extensions at home effortlessly and safely. Trust me, by the end of this post, you’ll be a pro in making those tresses look fabulous!
How to put in tape in hair extensions?
Step 1: Sectioning your Hair
Getting your hair ready for the tape-in extensions requires careful sectioning. First off, brush your hair thoroughly to remove any tangles or knots. This makes it easier to section off and ensure a smooth application of the extensions.
- Divide your hair into sections starting from the bottom.
- Use a tail comb to create a straight part across your head about one inch above the nape of your neck.
- Secure the rest of your hair away from this part using hair clips to avoid any mix – up.
- Sub-divide this section further into 1.5-inch wide wefts, mirroring the width of most standard tape-in extensions.
- Repeat these steps working upwards until you reach just below the crown area, leaving out some natural hair at the top where tape-ins should not be placed.
- Keep in mind that tape – in extensions are most suitable for thin hair, so ensure you’ve appropriately gauged how many sections will be needed based upon your desired look and thickness of your natural locks.
Step 2: Applying your extensions
Here’s how to apply tape-in hair extensions:
- Section your hair: Start by dividing your hair into manageable sections. Use hair clips to keep each section separate and out of the way.
- Prepare the extensions: Take one weft of tape-in extensions and remove the protective backing from one side, exposing the sticky adhesive.
- Place the extension: Position the extension underneath a small section of your own hair, about half an inch away from the scalp. Press it firmly against your natural hair, sandwiching it in between another weft or section of your own hair.
- Apply pressure: Gently press along the taped area to ensure a secure attachment. Use a comb or your fingers to smooth down any visible lines or bumps caused by the extensions.
- Repeat the process: Move on to the next section of your hair and repeat steps 2-4 until all desired extensions are applied.
- Blend and style: Once all the extensions are in place, blend them with your natural hair using a brush or comb. Style as desired, ensuring that you’re not pulling too roughly on the extensions while styling.
- It’s important to avoid installing tape – in extensions by yourself for optimal results.
- Using hair clips will help keep sections separate during application.
- Bobby pins can be used strategically for precise placement.
- Keep a spare pack of tape handy in case any need to be replaced during application.
Step 3: Caring for your hair afterward
After applying tape-in hair extensions, it’s important to take proper care of your hair to maintain their longevity and keep your natural hair healthy. Here are some tips for caring for your hair afterwards:
- Gently comb your hair: Use a wide-tooth comb or a special extension brush to gently detangle your hair. Start from the ends and work your way up to prevent pulling or tugging on the extensions.
- Avoid heat damage: Minimize the use of hot styling tools such as straighteners or curling irons, as excessive heat can weaken the adhesive of the tape-ins. If you do use heat, make sure to apply a heat protectant spray beforehand.
- Wash with care: When washing your hair, use sulfate-free and alcohol-free shampoos and conditioners. Avoid applying products directly on the tape area and instead focus on the roots and lengths of your natural hair.
- Be gentle when towel drying: After washing, gently squeeze out excess water from your hair using a soft microfiber towel or an old cotton T-shirt. Avoid rubbing vigorously as this can cause tangling or loosening of the tape attachments.
- Avoid harsh chemicals: Stay away from swimming pools treated with chlorine or exposing your extensions to saltwater as these can cause damage. If you do swim, rinse your hair thoroughly afterward with clean water.
- Sleep with care: Before going to bed, tie your hair in a loose braid or bun to prevent tangling during sleep. You can also use a silk or satin pillowcase as these materials create less friction compared to cotton.
- Regular maintenance: Schedule regular maintenance appointments with a professional stylist who is trained in working with tape-in extensions. They can check for any loose attachments, reposition them if necessary, and provide expert advice on maintaining the health of your natural hair.
Tips for applying for tape-in hair extensions
To ensure a successful application of tape-in hair extensions, there are some expert tips you should keep in mind. Avoid attempting to install tape-ins by yourself and instead seek professional help for the best results.
When applying the extensions, make sure to use hair clips to securely hold your natural hair out of the way. Using bobby pins can also be helpful for precise placement of the extensions.
It’s always a good idea to have a spare pack of tape on hand in case any need to be replaced during application.
1. Avoid installing tape-ins by yourself
Installing tape-in hair extensions can be a tricky process, and it’s best to avoid doing it by yourself if possible. While some women may have success with DIY installations, there are several reasons why seeking professional help is recommended.
Firstly, professionals have the experience and expertise needed to ensure that the tape-ins are applied correctly and securely in order to prevent any damage to your natural hair. Secondly, they have access to high-quality products and tools that may not be readily available for at-home use.
This includes specialized adhesives that provide a strong hold without causing excessive stress on your hair follicles. Finally, professionals can also assist with proper placement of the extensions for a seamless blend with your natural hair, helping you achieve the desired look effortlessly.
2. Make sure to use hair clips
When applying tape-in hair extensions, it is crucial to use hair clips for proper placement and secure attachment. Hair clips help in sectioning your hair, making the process easier and more efficient.
They keep the natural hair out of the way while you focus on attaching the extensions.
Using hair clips also ensures that each weft of extension stays in place as you work through different sections of your hair. This prevents any overlapping or uneven placement, resulting in a seamless blend between your natural hair and the extensions.
Hair clips provide stability during the application process, allowing you to have better control over where each piece of tape-in extension goes. By using them strategically, you can achieve a professional-looking finish that appears naturally voluminous and flowing.
3. Use bobby pins for placement
When it comes to placing your tape-in hair extensions, using bobby pins can be a game-changer. Bobby pins are versatile and easy to work with, making them ideal for securing the wefts in place.
Start by sectioning your hair and applying the adhesive side of the extension close to your roots. Then, use a bobby pin to secure the top corner of each weft onto your natural hair.
This will prevent any lifting or shifting throughout the day, ensuring that your extensions stay in place seamlessly. Remember to choose bobby pins that match your hair color for a discreet and natural look.
4. Use a spare tape pack
I always recommend having a spare tape pack on hand when applying tape-in hair extensions. Sometimes, the adhesive on the pre-taped wefts may not stick as securely as you’d like, or you might need to re-apply an extension that has shifted.
By having extra tape packs available, you can easily replace or reinforce any loose extensions without needing to purchase new ones. This saves time and money in the long run, ensuring that your tape-in extensions stay in place and look flawless throughout their lifespan.
Remember, it’s better to be prepared with extras rather than find yourself scrambling for a solution when you need it most.
5. Helpful video tutorials
When it comes to learning how to put in tape-in hair extensions, video tutorials can be incredibly helpful. There are many tutorials available online that provide step-by-step instructions on the application process.
These videos often show real-time demonstrations and offer tips and tricks for achieving a seamless and natural look.
In these video tutorials, you’ll learn how to properly section your hair before applying the extensions. They will demonstrate how to attach the tape-in extensions securely using bobby pins for placement and hair clips to hold sections of hair out of the way.
You’ll also find guidance on caring for your hair afterwards, including tips on washing, styling, and maintaining your tape-in extensions.
It’s important to note that while these tutorials can be informative and inspiring, it is generally recommended to have professional help when installing tape-in hair extensions. An experienced stylist can ensure proper placement and minimize any potential damage or discomfort during the application process.
Remember, practice makes perfect! It’s always a good idea to watch multiple tutorial videos before attempting the application yourself. This will give you a better understanding of different techniques and allow you to choose what works best for you.
So grab your laptop or smartphone, search for some helpful video tutorials online, and get ready to master the art of putting in tape-in hair extensions like a pro! Don’t forget – patience is key when it comes to achieving flawless results with this popular extension method.
1. Can I put in tape-in hair extensions by myself?
While it is possible to put in tape-in hair extensions by yourself, it is recommended that you seek the assistance of a professional hairstylist for the best results. They have the expertise and experience to properly apply and blend the extensions seamlessly with your natural hair.
2. How long do tape-in hair extensions typically last?
Tape-in hair extensions can typically last between 6 to 8 weeks before they need to be repositioned or replaced, depending on how well they are taken care of and how fast your natural hair grows.
3. How do I remove tape-in hair extensions without damaging my own hair?
To remove tape-in hair extensions without causing damage, it is important to use a specialized adhesive remover specifically designed for this purpose. Apply the remover gently onto each bond, allowing it enough time to dissolve the adhesive before carefully sliding off the extension from your natural hair.
In conclusion, learning how to put in tape-in hair extensions can be a game-changer for women looking to add volume and length to their hair. By following the proper technique of sectioning your hair, applying the extensions with care, and maintaining them afterward, you can achieve seamless and natural-looking results.
Remember to seek professional assistance if needed and take advantage of helpful video tutorials for visual guidance. With these expert tips and tricks, you’ll be rocking beautiful tape-in extensions in no time!